1.10.2021

January Writing Challenge 2021: 9

9. An issue you think needs far more attention, awareness and concern

I think people don't pay enough attention to the amount of food they waste on a daily basis. Food waste has such a negative impact on the environment, and I don't think people are really as aware of the amount that they throw away.

Being raised by Filipino immigrants, I was taught to never throw away food if I can help it, and never ever waste any food. I've brought this mindset into adulthood, and am more conscious of food waste than the average millennial my age. I cringe every time someone doesn't finish their meal at a restaurant and just leaves it there without taking it as leftovers. I am basically the leftover queen. 

I also try not to waste groceries, although I'm not as good at that as I'd like to be. A lot of our produce ends up rotting, which I feel very guilty about. It's something that I want to work on for sure. 

But yes, food waste is something that needs more attention, because it's such an easy thing to fix if you're just more aware of how much you are able to use and eat. And just take the damn leftovers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment