1.14.2021

January Writing Challenge 2021: 12

12. Someone comes into your house, puts a gun to your head and tells you that you must move to another country. You can go anywhere, it’ll last for five years and all of your living costs will be taken care of. Where do you move? Why?

My first inclination is to choose somewhere like France, but I think I would choose the Philippines. If all living costs will be taken care of, I would spend time with my extended family, and travel around the various islands and places I have and haven't been before. 

I'd spend time learning the language finally, which is something I've been half trying to do for years now. And of course I would eat the food, make the food, learn about the food. Learn about the culture and where I'm from. 

I also think that living in the Philippines would give me a lot of perspective on how my parents grew up and how much they sacrificed and did for me and my brother in moving to the US. It would give me an opportunity to make a much deeper connection with my roots in many different ways.

PLUS, I'd be closer to Asia so I'd get to travel all over the continent and live out my J-girl/K-pop fever dreams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment