1.11.2021

January Writing Challenge 2021: 11

11. A book you think everyone should read and why

Normally my recommendation would be the Harry Potter series due to its immense impact on shaping who I am as a human being today, but due to JK Rowling's extremely problematic views I will recommend a different book. So I am going to say recommend one of my all-time favorite books as one that everyone should read: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

Pride and Prejudice is probably one of the OG romance books, but man is it so much more than that. The main character Elizabeth Bennet is such a strong, independent, sassy, female heroine that I think really led the way for some of the strong literary female characters today. All of Jane Austen's characters are a FUCKING delight to read about. And OF COURSE Mr. Darcy. MR. FUCKING DARCY. I love him with all my heart, although I'm not going to lie that Colin Firth's portrayal in both the BBC adaptation and in Bridget Jones's Diary (a Pride and Prejudice remake, of course) heavily influenced how I picture Mr. Darcy in my head.

The banter, the wit, the characterizations, the descriptive but easy to read writing. This book is EVERYTHING. It's also a very digestible classic compared to others in my opinion, if you're looking for one to read. Obviously I am a Jane Austen stan and Pride and Prejudice is a classic that I think is the perfect book to start with if you're starting out with Austen, or with classics in general. READ THIS FUCKING BOOK.

No comments:

Post a Comment