1.19.2021

January Writing Challenge 2021: 15-19

Well the weekend really fucked with my writing challenge. Shit.

15. Your most unpopular opinion (bonus points for how controversial it is). Explain your reasoning behind it

Hmm I feel like I have a lot of these but it's hard to come up with something specific. I hate a lot of things that are popular or well reviewed/liked.

I hated the movie Snowpiercer. I though it was complete trash, and I left the movie theater upset that I watched it. I just didn't think it was a good movie, one thing happened after another that just upset me and I didn't enjoy watching it at all. 

I also extremely hated the movie Inherent Vice. I thought it was boring as fuck, I fell asleep in the theater twice and woke up upset that the movie wasn't over. It was just too hard to follow and nonsense. Chalk it up to me being not as "cultured" but fuck that movie it was trash.

I think lentils are a trash food and no one should eat them. They taste like shit usually and I don't care if you're vegetarian there are other legumes out there that don't taste like actual trash. I've only liked one lentil dish in my entire life, otherwise everything lentil-related I hate with a passion.


16. A review of where you live. Doesn’t matter if you live in the middle of nowhere or a bustling metropolis- each have their benefits and their downfalls. Give your opinions, the pros/cons and why you like/hate living there

I live in Greenpoint, Brooklyn. It's a great neighborhood to live overall. There are great restaurants and bars here, and I live in close enough proximity to Williamsburg that it's very accessible. People shit on the G train but I've lived in Greenpoint for over seven years and I never had very many complaints about the train. Yes it's a short train. It's not that big a deal. Yes it has some issues. So do all of the other trains. The MTA overall sucks. The G is on par with the other trains.

I think the thing I like the best though about Greenpoint is that it's got some great spots but it's also quiet. People don't venture as often up here, and I'm okay with it. Greenpoint can stay this hidden gem in New York for as long as people think it's too hard to get to. More great food, drinks, and businesses for me. 


17. Write about an emotion you’re feeling as if it’s detached from you. The happiness, grief or loneliness you’re feeling is suddenly sat across the room from you. What are they wearing? What do they look like? What are their mannerisms?

Exhaustion is sitting across from me. They are wearing head to toe gray sweats with the hood pulled all the way up. They've got bags under their eyes, and a paleness that comes with not getting enough sleep. Their lips are chapped. Their hair is greasy and unwashed. They are having trouble paying attention to anything, and are also having trouble staying upright. They just want to lie down. They don't want anyone talking to them, and when someone tries to they just answer with one syllable responses. Just let them go to bed please!

18. An analysis of your favourite film scene and why you love it so much. It doesn’t have to be super serious or beautiful, maybe you really like the marriage scene from Shrek. Really dig into it, like you’re a media student. What colours are there? How is the scene framed? Who’s in it? Read between the lines

Well my favorite movie of all time is Amélie, and almost every scene from that movie is beautifully done. You could freeze frame at any point in that film and it would be a beautiful, intentionally shot frame. 

I think one of my favorite scenes is near the beginning. It's the scene where the narrator is talking about all the simple pleasures Amélie enjoys in life, including dipping her hand in sacks of grain, cracking créme brulée with a spoon, and skipping stones at the St. Martin's Canal. The close-ups of the hand dipping in grain, the surface of the créme brulée and the sound of it being cracked. 

My favorite part of this scene is Amélie skipping stones because it starts with an overhead shot of the waterfall going into the canal and then pans all the way over to the other side of the waterfall, where Amélie is wearing a red dress and skipping stone after stone. The whole background is bathed in soft sunlight and greens of the trees and the canal, and Amélie is in the middle of the shot, standing out among the green dressed in red, as the camera pans down to the canal where it ends on a close-up of a stone is being skipped across the water. 

I think my other favorite scene of all time is from the 2001 classic that I used to watched repeatedly: The Princess Diaries. It's the scene where Mia and Michael are walking to school and flirting a bit because we all know they're catching feelings, when Lily, Michael's sister comes running down the sidewalk after them, screaming for them to wait for her. As she's running, someone turns around as she's screaming "Wait!" and in a perfect moment of comedic timing, she screams back at the extra "No not you I don't even know you!" It's such a well timed delivery of that line and performance by Heather Matarazzo that I laugh out loud every time. Such a great scene. Most scenes in The Princess Diaries are great. What a great fucking movie. Is this an analysis?

19. Write a short story or article based on the last text or WhatsApp message you sent. Doesn’t matter if it’s as mundane as “yeee”- maybe you’re a lone adventurer walking along desolate streets screaming ‘yeee’ as you go. How would people react to you? Why are you screaming it? What has led you to where you are?

Last text: "I think you can follow it"

"I think you can follow it," I said, as the black and white cat jumped onto our downstairs neighbor's fence and nimbly scampered across it like a tightrope walker performing their circus routine. We watched as the cat hopped off the fence and into the next yard, walking through the overgrown weeds in circles before settling down in a patch of sun. He joined the rest of the cats who liked to traverse between the yards that spread out behind our building. And then the musical Cats started THE END 

No comments:

Post a Comment