1.30.2013

Eating Astoria: Arepas Cafe & Sweet Afton again

Since moving (back) to New York, I've been introduced to the delicious wonder that is the arepa. This South American specialty is a thick patty made from cornmeal or flour and can be stuffed with meats, beans, cheeses, and veggies. So you can imagine my excitement when I was told there was a tasty arepas place close to where I live. Arepas Cafe on 36th Ave. serves a damn good Venezuelan arepa.

This arepa had shredded beef, black beans, fried sweet plantains, and white cheese. I don't remember what was in the red and green sauces that they had on the table but I couldn't stop putting them all over everything.

Black beans and rice. I can never figure out how to make my rice and beans taste this good at home.

Also because I forgot to include these in my post about Sweet Afton a few days ago, here are two more photos from there. 

Portobella burger and fried pickles. The burger was good, the breading on the pickles was weird and puffy but I can't say no to fried anything usually.

Sorry about the quality of these photos, they were taken with my phone. I'm going to start bringing my actual camera around with me again, hopefully.




No comments:

Post a Comment