7.08.2012

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

In an effort to try to become a normal well-functioning adult these past couple of months, I have completely neglected this blog. To my three readers, I apologize, and I want to try to make a conscious effort to update this thing, if not for your sake then at least for mine. I haven't had much of a chance to write too many things that are longer than 140 characters at a time (since I work in social media), and I'm desperately out of practice. I also have done a shit job of recording my time here in New York and I'd like to remedy that. So I guess as a start, I want to list out what the hell's been going on in my life since March.

I got hired full-time at my new jobby job
I started freelancing at a huge ad agency, doing social media and tweeting tweets and Facebooking Facebooks, and I got hired full-time! It's been a new and different experience and I've been learning a lot about the advertising world and expanding my social media skills and know how. While it isn't what I originally set out to do when I moved to New York City, I've come to terms with the fact that goals change and I don't regret this particular career path I've set out on. It's pretty awesome and the company is cool and the people are cool and the accounts I work on are cool and everything's just cool, man.

I moved to a different borough
In May I moved from the East Village in Manhattan to Astoria in Queens. It's definitely been a bit of an adjustment, especially in terms of my commute to work. I used to be able to walk, and now I have about an hour's commute into the city. But the change has been a good one, the apartment I share with my two roommates is really spacious, especially the kitchen, and my bedroom has an actual closet! I've been really slow in decorating and getting everything together because of work and being social and whatnot, but the place is definitely coming together and I love this apartment so far. Plus, it's so cheap compared to what I was paying in the Village, so that's a definite plus. Also we live right by a big, beautiful park and the water, and Astoria is known for its beer gardens and some amazing restaurants which I have yet to try but I'm very excited about exploring this part of New York, especially now that it's finally summer. Here's a few pictures of life in Queens so far:

Clockwise from top L: Hanging out in Astoria Park, drinking homemade iced tea on my fire escape, the sign of Mr. Tasty aka white Drake that I pass by on my way to the subway every day, vanilla sprinkle cone by the water



I got a cat!
I'm actually just fostering one. This little guy is named Louis, and he's cute and cuddly and I keep having to remind myself not to get too attached because he's being adopted in a few more days.



Other small things that don't matter as much

  • Decided to grow my hair out reeeaaalllly long for the first time in a few years. I haven't gotten a haircut in forever. Trying to see how long I can go before I get annoyed and chop it all off again.
  • I've been cooking a lot more since my kitchen space in the new apartment probably doubled from the last place. New things I've attempted to make: blueberry waffles, alfredo sauce from scratch, green chicken enchiladas, homemade iced tea. Mostly, it's been a success.
  • Also I got on Instagram if you couldn't tell by the pictures, so friend me or follow me or whatever it is you do on there if you want. My username is jo__baby, with 2 underscores.

That's all I got for now.






No comments:

Post a Comment