4.29.2011

Yesterday was Thursday

This is my 12358127392367th attempt to revive my blog. I realized why I never updated it, it's because I thought it was really ugly and I never wanted to look at it so I never visited it. So I revamped my layout, and I'm satisfied with it for now. I was never really HTML savvy, and maybe one day I'll have the effort to learn and churn out something fancier, but for now I'm digging this simple and clean look.

Anyway, today was one of those days that made me really happy to be working (and hopefully very soon living) in the city. After a busy day at work I decided to check out The Strand bookstore, because I had never been there before.



The number of books in this store is insane, shelves and shelves go on forever! I didn't end up buying any books because I was so overwhelmed, but I did end up buying a red moleskine. I didn't really need it, but I have a major weakness for pretty notebooks that are waiting to be filled. Plus it was cheaper here than at any other book store I've been to.

I was kind of disappointed that they didn't have a magazine section, but with 18 miles of books, I wouldn't say they are lacking. After leaving The Strand I decided to walk through Union Square Park, and who do I see walking out of the building next door?

Lead singer of The Strokes a.k.a. my future husband Julian fucking Casablancas! It was so surreal because The Strokes have been my favorite band since I was 14, I love them so much. Also, this is the SECOND time I've seen Julian in the city, the first time I passed by him eating dinner with his wife and baby in a restaurant in Chelsea. I freaked out and had to restrain myself from chasing after him across the street.

I know I'm a month late, but I was lucky enough to see The Strokes at Madison Square Garden on April 1 and it was one of the best shows I've ever been to. The video below is one of my favorite moments from the concert. That disco ball in MSG was seriously magical.



After resisting the urge to stalk Julian Casablancas, I walked over to Union Square Park. I found a bench to sit on, smoked a cigarette and enjoyed the last few minutes of sunlight. While sitting there two people asked me for a cigarette. One was a young dude who looked like an Austin drag rat, and was visibly on some type of drug. The other was a bearded guy in a button-up and tie who was really stoned. He sat next to me on the bench and we chatted for a while. He told me about how he was having a bit of a panic attack because he was high and walking around outside and that he had a job interview earlier today. He also told me he got arrested earlier in the week for being provoked into a fight by some homeless guy in Brooklyn. He then said he was an artist, and showed me his sketchbook. His drawings were actually very good, really intricate patterned buildings. Then he said he had to go, he was on his way to Staten Island because a bisexual man owed his friend money and she wanted him to get it from the guy. I'm not sure if any or all of that was made up, but it was definitely amusing and I'm glad I decided not to lie like I usually do about having an extra cigarette.

I hope to spend more days like this, I realize there are so many places I haven't been and things I haven't done in the city and I've been here for seven months. Now I should probably go to bed because I'm getting up early to watch the royal wedding. Stupid England, having the wedding at an inconvenient time for us Americans. Pshhh.

1 comment:

  1. omggggg I'm so jealous you went to the MSG concert and the disco ball for under control looked like the best part. Props for not stalking Jules, I know I would have! NYC seems fun, I loved the story...weird ass people man!

    ReplyDelete